Saving passwords
r***@optonline.net
2010-07-13 21:14:46 UTC
Why is it that some sites I go to that need sign in, Seamonkey lets me save the
password and sign on information (Windows 7, a box pops up in the upper right
asking if I want to remember the info), and some don't allow it. An example is
my bank. I can't save the information and have to log in manually each time I go
to the site. Whereas American Express remembers all the info and I just have to
click Sign In and I go to the site. I'm not worried about security, it's only me
on this computer.
Eric
2010-07-14 01:04:50 UTC
Post by r***@optonline.net
Why is it that some sites I go to that need sign in, Seamonkey lets me save the
password and sign on information (Windows 7, a box pops up in the upper right
asking if I want to remember the info), and some don't allow it. An example is
my bank. I can't save the information and have to log in manually each time I go
to the site. Whereas American Express remembers all the info and I just have to
click Sign In and I go to the site. I'm not worried about security, it's only me
on this computer.
I have a similar experience except my Credit Union I can access, but not
my credit card with Chase.com

I think that it all depends on the method of how they are requesting the
password. Javascript request, not a problem, however, .asp/php or other
scripts probably pose a problem. It isn't just seamonkey/firefox, but
IE also.

HTH

Eric
Robert Kaiser
2010-07-14 12:14:57 UTC
Post by r***@optonline.net
Why is it that some sites I go to that need sign in, Seamonkey lets me save the
password and sign on information (Windows 7, a box pops up in the upper right
asking if I want to remember the info), and some don't allow it. An example is
my bank. I can't save the information and have to log in manually each time I go
to the site. Whereas American Express remembers all the info and I just have to
click Sign In and I go to the site. I'm not worried about security, it's only me
on this computer.
Some sites set attributes that forbid saving the passwords, and all
major browsers follow them.

Robert Kaiser
--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible
I even appreciate irony and fun! :)
Rob Steinmetz
2010-07-15 19:17:03 UTC
Post by Robert Kaiser
Post by r***@optonline.net
Why is it that some sites I go to that need sign in, Seamonkey lets me save the
password and sign on information (Windows 7, a box pops up in the upper right
asking if I want to remember the info), and some don't allow it. An example is
my bank. I can't save the information and have to log in manually each time I go
to the site. Whereas American Express remembers all the info and I just have to
click Sign In and I go to the site. I'm not worried about security, it's only me
on this computer.
Some sites set attributes that forbid saving the passwords, and all
major browsers follow them.
Robert Kaiser
There is some code out there that will override the attributes and allow
you to save passwords on some sites.

Use it at your own risk.

It doesn't work on all websites because some sites use different methods.
Rob
Robert Baer
...and...*where* is that code???
Robert Baer
2012-02-24 03:53:01 UTC
Post by r***@optonline.net
Why is it that some sites I go to that need sign in, Seamonkey lets me save the
password and sign on information (Windows 7, a box pops up in the upper right
asking if I want to remember the info), and some don't allow it. An example is
my bank. I can't save the information and have to log in manually each time I go
to the site. Whereas American Express remembers all the info and I just have to
click Sign In and I go to the site. I'm not worried about security, it's only me
on this computer.
I ran into the exact same problem and got pissed,so watched carefully.
Seems ALL https sites have this problem,so it is SM that is
barfing,not the site.
Robert Baer
2012-03-07 20:41:30 UTC
Post by r***@optonline.net
Why is it that some sites I go to that need sign in, Seamonkey lets me save the
password and sign on information (Windows 7, a box pops up in the upper right
asking if I want to remember the info), and some don't allow it. An example is
my bank. I can't save the information and have to log in manually each time I go
to the site. Whereas American Express remembers all the info and I just have to
click Sign In and I go to the site. I'm not worried about security, it's only me
on this computer.
Had the same problem, found that all https sites acted that way and
no "standard" http sites gave that problem.
Someone pointed me to an attachment which solved the problem.
In one eye and out the other; dunno what i used.
Robert Baer
2012-03-07 20:48:19 UTC
Post by r***@optonline.net
Why is it that some sites I go to that need sign in, Seamonkey lets me save the
password and sign on information (Windows 7, a box pops up in the upper right
asking if I want to remember the info), and some don't allow it. An example is
my bank. I can't save the information and have to log in manually each time I go
to the site. Whereas American Express remembers all the info and I just have to
click Sign In and I go to the site. I'm not worried about security, it's only me
on this computer.
OK..i did an about:addons and found "Remember Passwords 1.0.2" which
must be what i added.