Seamonkey 2.1 and general.useragent.extra.
John A.
2011-06-19 13:59:10 UTC
For website testing purposes I've been using
general.useragent.extra.xxx to add targeted substrings to my user
agent string. It seems in 2.1 this does not work.

Was general.useragent.extra.* disabled in 2.1? Is there another place
to put this now?

Thanks.
Robert Kaiser
2011-06-20 00:02:53 UTC
Post by John A.
For website testing purposes I've been using
general.useragent.extra.xxx to add targeted substrings to my user
agent string. It seems in 2.1 this does not work.
Was general.useragent.extra.* disabled in 2.1? Is there another place
to put this now?
No place to put it any more, was removed for fingerprinting/privacy
reasons. The less variation in user agent strings, the harder it is for
websites to track your browsing behavior.

Robert Kaiser
--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible
time, I even appreciate irony and fun! :)
John A.
2011-06-20 03:37:53 UTC
Post by Robert Kaiser
Post by John A.
For website testing purposes I've been using
general.useragent.extra.xxx to add targeted substrings to my user
agent string. It seems in 2.1 this does not work.
Was general.useragent.extra.* disabled in 2.1? Is there another place
to put this now?
No place to put it any more, was removed for fingerprinting/privacy
reasons. The less variation in user agent strings, the harder it is for
websites to track your browsing behavior.
Robert Kaiser
So they don't allow us the *choice* to add to the string?

Bogus!

Guess I'll have to install an older version of FF or something to do
it, since SM won't let me run more than one version at a time, unless
and until I find another way to hack it.

Anyone know a plug-in that will give this functionality? I need to
append an arbitrary string, not mimic an existing UA string from some
other browser or spider, so I can pre-test server-side redirect
changes before unleashing them on the actual targets.
Robert Kaiser
2011-06-20 14:25:04 UTC
Post by John A.
So they don't allow us the *choice* to add to the string?
Yes.
Post by John A.
Bogus!
Not really, there are no compelling use cases for doing it permanently.
Post by John A.
Anyone know a plug-in that will give this functionality? I need to
append an arbitrary string, not mimic an existing UA string from some
other browser or spider, so I can pre-test server-side redirect
changes before unleashing them on the actual targets.
For testing, just override the _whole_ UA string via
general.useragent.override (off the top of my head, I think it's that).
Set this as a new entry with whatever exact complete UA string you need
and reset it when your testing is done.

Robert Kaiser
John A.
2011-06-20 16:15:38 UTC
Post by John A.
Anyone know a plug-in that will give this functionality? I need to
append an arbitrary string, not mimic an existing UA string from some
other browser or spider, so I can pre-test server-side redirect
changes before unleashing them on the actual targets.
For testing, just override the _whole_ UA string via
general.useragent.override (off the top of my head, I think it's that).
Set this as a new entry with whatever exact complete UA string you need
and reset it when your testing is done.
Robert Kaiser
I guess I'll be doing that, then, maybe. I generally have the browser
up for a few months at a time, though, so, if I grock the ...override
setting properly, I'll have to manually clear it after I'm done.

I really prefer the "extra" settings. I don't give a flying rat's
patootie if my UA is somehow traceable. Isn't there some sort of
private browsing mode where this stripping down of the UA would be
better placed?

I have a feeling this would all be fixable if I knew how to write
plug-ins, but I have too many irons in the fire as it is. :P
Ralph Fox
2011-06-21 09:33:51 UTC
Post by John A.
Anyone know a plug-in that will give this functionality? I need to
append an arbitrary string, not mimic an existing UA string from some
other browser or spider, so I can pre-test server-side redirect
changes before unleashing them on the actual targets.
Configure your required UA strings (SeaMonkey + appended arbitrary strings)
in User-Agent Switcher
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/user-agent-switcher/>

You are not restricted to the canned UA strings in UA Switcher.
--
Kind regards
Ralph