Is this a longterm viable USNET group?
Richard Owlett
2021-03-30 11:10:44 UTC
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
Andy Burns
2021-03-30 11:49:46 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
I believe so, unfortunately there is no n.p.m.thunderbird or
n.p.m.thunderbird
Richard Owlett
2021-03-30 12:06:01 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
I believe so, unfortunately there is no n.p.m.thunderbird or
n.p.m.thunderbird
I'm extremely partial to SeaMonkey as I date back to days of Netscape
being current and prefer the suite approach.
Ant
2021-03-30 20:18:20 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
I believe so, unfortunately there is no n.p.m.thunderbird or
n.p.m.thunderbird
I'm extremely partial to SeaMonkey as I date back to days of Netscape
being current and prefer the suite approach.
Me too.
--
It's March Madness (go USC Trojans!)! Stop the racisms, hates, discriminations, etc. please. Moderna dose #1's shot area is still itchy. :(
| |o o| |
( )
Ralph Fox
2021-04-02 03:58:53 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
I believe so, unfortunately there is no n.p.m.thunderbird or
n.p.m.thunderbird
There is netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news for that.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Rob
2021-03-30 19:45:52 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
I found it, in fact I thought my isp had discontinued News but I was
wrong. I just haven't used it for a long time.

Sending this to see if I can post.
Richard Owlett
It was read ;}
Ant
2021-03-30 20:19:04 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
My NSP doesn't have mozilla.support.seamonkey. :(
( )
Andy Burns
2021-03-31 08:03:05 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
My NSP doesn't have mozilla.support.seamonkey. :(
That's correct. Any news server other than mozilla's and google's is
disobeying mozilla's request to NOT feed them elsewhere ...
Ant
2021-03-31 19:05:24 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
My NSP doesn't have mozilla.support.seamonkey. :(
That's correct.  Any news server other than mozilla's and google's is
disobeying mozilla's request to NOT feed them elsewhere ...
Augh. Which free NSP has mozilla.support.seamonkey? I don't want to dump
my current cheap legacy one.
--
It's March Madness! Stop the racisms, hates, discriminations, etc.
please. Moderna dose #1's shot area is still itchy. :(
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )
Andy Burns
2021-03-31 19:51:53 UTC
Post by Ant
Augh. Which free NSP has mozilla.support.seamonkey? I don't want to dump
my current cheap legacy one.
It's on aioe which is free, but how many articles will find their way to
it once mozilla's server gets turned off is anyone's guess.

There is netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey and hopefully there will be
alt.comp.software.seamonkey (along with .thunderbird and .firefox) in
future.
David E. Ross
2021-04-01 00:15:06 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Ant
Augh. Which free NSP has mozilla.support.seamonkey? I don't want to dump
my current cheap legacy one.
It's on aioe which is free, but how many articles will find their way to
it once mozilla's server gets turned off is anyone's guess.
There is netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey and hopefully there will be
alt.comp.software.seamonkey (along with .thunderbird and .firefox) in
future.
Messages in mozilla.support.seamonkey on nntp.aioe.org appear to be
coming from news.mozilla.org through nntp.giganews.com. Thus, when
Mozilla shuts down news.mozilla.org, I think no more messages will be
posted to mozilla.support.seamonkey at AIOE.

On the other hand, Mozilla has no control over this
(netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey) newsgroup.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

While a "vaccination passport" to prove someone has been
vaccinated against COVID-19 seems to be a good idea, most
concepts involve smart phones. What about those of us
who have been vaccinated but do not have a smart phone?
Ralph Fox
2021-04-02 22:20:07 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
Messages in mozilla.support.seamonkey on nntp.aioe.org appear to be
coming from news.mozilla.org through nntp.giganews.com. Thus, when
Mozilla shuts down news.mozilla.org, I think no more messages will be
posted to mozilla.support.seamonkey at AIOE.
Messages can be posted to other servers which carry mozilla.support.seamonkey,
and those messages will continue. (Those messages do not appear on
news.mozilla.org, but that will soon be irrelevant when news.mozilla.org is
closed.)

As a test I posted a message in mozilla.support.seamonkey on APN/Easynews,
and read that message on AIOE. Copy from AIOE included below [1].

The real issue is that many news servers will not carry
mozilla.support.seamonkey, as Andy Burns said earlier in this thread.
Post by David E. Ross
On the other hand, Mozilla has no control over this
(netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey) newsgroup.
Indeed. This group netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey is not "owned"
by Mozilla. The old Netscape Communications Corporation does not care that
other servers carry it.

This group netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey has been around for over 20 years
and is widely carried.

____
FOOTNOTE

[1] Copy of message posted to mozilla.support.seamonkey on APN/Easynews
and received on AIOE.

From: Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
Newsgroups: mozilla.support.seamonkey
Subject: Re: Does a _VIABLE_ SeaMonkey USENET group already exist?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 10:45:11 +1300
Post by David E. Ross
I access USENET via news.supernews.com .
It carries netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey .
Its activity has be quite low {~600 posts in last decade}.
Will whatever is causing the demise of mozilla.support.seamonkey be
automatically fatal to it also?
Is it carried by enough news servers to be viable?
Sub-question: Is it carried by popular free($) news servers?
The netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey group existed long before
news.mozilla.org and mozilla.support.seamonkey were set up, and it
will continue to exist after they are shut down. Its existence
has not been dependent on news.mozilla.org.

People were using the netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey newsgroup
long before the news.mozilla.org news server was set up around the
beginning of 2006.

The netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey group was and still is carried
by many servers. I have two free news servers carrying it, including
AIOE, and I am sure there are others I do not have.

--
Kind regards
Ralph
Ralph
Rob
2021-03-31 15:48:32 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
My NSP doesn't have mozilla.support.seamonkey. :(
You could subscribe directly to the mozilla server. If you subscribed
to the mailing list it had the same content. It's kind of pointless now
with the impending shutdown.

I hope the Seamonkey team comes up with something I guess we'll just
need to keep watching the website.
yamo'
2021-03-31 18:58:00 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
My NSP doesn't have mozilla.support.seamonkey. :(
I have it from my feeds.
Stéphane
Ant
2021-03-31 19:05:52 UTC
Post by yamo'
Hi,
Post by Ant
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
My NSP doesn't have mozilla.support.seamonkey. :(
I have it from my feeds.
RSS?--
( )
yamo'
2021-04-01 07:21:16 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by yamo'
Hi,
Post by Ant
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
My NSP doesn't have mozilla.support.seamonkey. :(
I have it from my feeds.
RSS?--
Too modern :P

NNTP (whe are on usenet).

From neva.ru
Stéphane
Paul in Houston TX
2021-03-30 22:16:48 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
This is an "open to the public" newsgroup.
Any server can carry it if they want to.
That also means its open to trolls, bots, flamers, etc.
It's probably not long term once the trolls get wind of it.
Don Spam's Reckless Son
2021-04-01 13:59:47 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
I believe the answer is No.
If you look at the Newsgroups hosted on news.mozilla.org you will see
that the netscape.public.mozilla groups are also there, which presumably
means they will cease being there - or anywhere else - when it shuts down.
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
Andrew
If I can post this, then yes.
Ralph Fox
2021-04-02 04:31:47 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
I believe the answer is No.
If you look at the Newsgroups hosted on news.mozilla.org you will see
that the netscape.public.mozilla groups are also there, which presumably
means they will cease being there - or anywhere else - when it shuts down.
The netscape.public.mozilla.* groups existed long before the
news.mozilla.org server was set up. Their existence has not been
dependent on news.mozilla.org.

The netscape.public.mozilla.* groups were set up by the old Netscape
Communications Corporation. They continued to exist elsewhere after
Netscape's own news server secnews.netscape.com was shut down.

The server news.mozilla.org has a mirror copy of the
netscape.public.mozilla.* groups, but it is just a mirror copy. The
netscape.public.mozilla.* groups will cease being on news.mozilla.org
when it shuts down, but they will continue to exist elsewhere.
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Ant
2021-04-02 18:45:50 UTC
On 4/1/2021 9:31 PM, Ralph Fox wrote:
Post by Ralph Fox
The netscape.public.mozilla.* groups existed long before the
news.mozilla.org server was set up. Their existence has not been
dependent on news.mozilla.org.
The netscape.public.mozilla.* groups were set up by the old Netscape
Communications Corporation. They continued to exist elsewhere after
Netscape's own news server secnews.netscape.com was shut down.
The server news.mozilla.org has a mirror copy of the
netscape.public.mozilla.* groups, but it is just a mirror copy. The
netscape.public.mozilla.* groups will cease being on news.mozilla.org
when it shuts down, but they will continue to exist elsewhere.
Flashbacks. :O
--
TGIGF!
this signature correctly.
( )
Ralph Fox
2021-04-02 04:14:15 UTC
Post by Richard Owlett
Is the existence of this list independent of whatever is shutting down
mozilla.support.seamonkey?
This Usenet group (netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey) existed long