seamonkey vs thunderbird+firfox: less CPU and Mem
Uwe Brauer
2010-02-11 18:43:00 UTC
Hallo

I just played a little around using
(Kubuntu 8.04, but all seamonkey/thb/fixr are not part of Ubuntu).

ps ux

For either seamonkey 2.0 (with the mail application running (check 2 imap
servers in a 10 Min interval)) and various webpages open.

Or firefox 3.5 the same pages open

and thunderbird 3.0 (with the mail application running (check 2 imap
servers in a 10 Min interval))

I was very surprised to find out the following:
When I run
seamonkey alone it consumed around 12% of my CPU.
When I started firefox + thunderbird
firefox consumed around a little more 15% of my CPU
and thunderbird almost 40%!!!

I never really thought of switching from seamonkey to
thunderbird+firfox, now these numbers convinced me even
more.

Can somebody confirm these numbers or the general impression?

Uwe Brauer
Leonidas Jones
2010-02-12 04:03:21 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
[...]
That's not really surprising at all, and it fits with my experience on
Mac OS X. Its one of the prime reasons why many of us prefer the suite.

Note my comment on your other post about finding the support venue for
SeaMonkey.

Lee
Stéphane Grégoire
2010-02-12 11:13:43 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
Hallo
I just played a little around using
(Kubuntu 8.04, but all seamonkey/thb/fixr are not part of Ubuntu).
ps ux
For either seamonkey 2.0 (with the mail application running (check 2 imap
servers in a 10 Min interval)) and various webpages open.
I never really thought of switching from seamonkey to
thunderbird+firfox, now these numbers convinced me even
more.
It's a pity that Seamonkey 2.0 is not in Ubuntu
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seamonkey/+bug/461864>

But it is in Debian Testing which will be the origin of Ubuntu 10.04 :

<http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=iceape&searchon=names&suite=testing&section=all>
--
Stéphane
Sorry for my bad english.
http://pasdenom.info/fortune/
Stéphane Grégoire
2010-05-07 16:35:46 UTC
Post by Stéphane Grégoire
It's a pity that Seamonkey 2.0 is not in Ubuntu
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seamonkey/+bug/461864>
Seamonkey 2.0.4 is in lucid, I only have trouble with flash and java
plugins with the lucid version.
--
Stéphane
http://pasdenom.info/fortune